The Parkland Restoration
The lakes are part of the parkland restoration overseen by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown from 1769 to 1782. Commissioned by William Constable (1721-1791), the grounds around Burton Constable were transformed into the historic parkland you see today. This involved the conversion of small fish ponds and the creation of another “piece of water” into the north and south lakes, linked by the bridge next to which the Lakeside Bar sits today. These man-made lakes are lined with Burton Constable bricks ‒ the northernmost end of the lake was restored in the mid-2000s.
The lakes have historically been excellent fishing lakes full of carp, pike, tench, bream, roach and perch. As well as being a favourite of seasoned anglers and the setting of many fishing competitions over the years, the lakes have also seen many youngsters catching their first fish ‒ often with the help of friends of the park acting as bailiffs.
The Rejuvenation Project
2023 marks the starting point of the Rejuvenation Project. Keep up-to-date with the ongoing works.
Information Coming Soon.